Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Shut Up & Color

This past Sunday our dear friend and neighbor, Bryan (also a proud Texan) was at church with us. The sermon really spoke to my heart..."Be Still and Know that I AM God." Psalm 4:6. The pastor over and over told us to be still, be still. Well, if you know me at all, you know that I am not good at being still. But, Jason and I are in a tough spot in our young lives. We are facing the lose of Jason's father, Jason was recently laid off and all the other turmoil this world brings is crashing down on us. Did you know that the bible states to be still or do not be afraid 366 times? Think God it telling us something? Yet, I know that if I rely on my own strength, my happy marriage, my family, etc. I will be ok. But no, God tells me to rely on HIS strength, HIS love, HIS power...so ok, ok, I will shut up and color (as Bryan says) or as God says, I will "Be Still."

The Casting Crowns sing a song titled, "I Will Praise You in This Storm." The song brought tears to my eyes after this sermon spoke to my heart. If you have never heard this song, log onto their website; I have included the link, and listen, it will move you. http://www.reunionrecords.com/castingcrowns/altar/

I want to share the words with you, and also my favorite bible verse (John 16:33) and my new found favorite (Exodus 14:13 & 14).

As for me, I am going to strive everyday this week to be still, I am not doing great so far; I could use your prayers. Be blessed.

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have OVERCOME the world." - John 16:33

Moses answered the people, "Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today....The LORD will fight for you; you need only to BE STILL." Exodus 14:13&14.

"Praise You In This Storm"

I was sure by now
God You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say "Amen", and it's still raining
As the thunder rolls
I barely hear Your whisper through the rain"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away
And I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
And every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm
I remember when
I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry
You raised me up again
My strength is almost gone
How can I carry on
If I can't find You
As the thunder rolls
I barely hear You whisper through the rain"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away
I lift my eyes unto the hills
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord
The Maker of Heaven and Earth


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm so sorry to hear about jason's job/dad & etc. we'll add you guys to our prayers. i have found in my life that when life is super hard, that's when i'm more desperate for God. i wish i could be desperate for Him all the time. the scriptures you chose was real encouraging! i can't help but feel peace when i read those promises from God.
love you!

Anonymous said...

Out of great strife comes amazing blessings. I know God has a whole pile of them for you guys! I know I have a hard time being still too. We can help each other with that! I love you all so very much and you are always in our prayers.